top of page
  • Writer's pictureDennis McCaslin

Tulsa felon from 2019 police stand-off given five year federal sentence

Rodney Burton

A Tulsa man has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for unlawful possession of a loaded .357 Magnum revolver and an additional 20 rounds of loose ammunition after multiple prior felony convictions. 

Defendant Rodney Burton was convicted by a jury of his peers on February 20, 2020.   

On August 13, 2020, U.S. District Judge Gregory K. Frizzell granted the government’s request for a longer prison sentence and sentenced Defendant Rodney Burton to a term of 30 months in prison and three years of supervised release. 

The government argued for an enhanced federal sentence based upon Burton barricading himself inside his residence at the time of his arrest, threatening to shoot law enforcement officers, and a previous domestic violence incident.  

“I commend U.S. District Judge Frizzell for handing down this two and one half year sentence of imprisonment. It sends a strong message of deterrence to every convicted felon who would illegally possess a firearm or ammunition,” said U.S. Attorney Shores. “The public can expect to see more of these types of prosecutions. One way to reduce violent gun crime is to prosecute persons who illegally possess guns. That’s just what the Tulsa Police Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, and U.S. Attorney are going to do here in northern Oklahoma.”

At the sentencing hearing today, the government called an officer and a U.S. Marshals Service task force officer to discuss the prior domestic violence incident and the circumstances of Burton’s arrest in this case. 

USMS TFO Ian Soergel testified that Burton refused to obey officer commands and barricaded himself into his residence causing them to use a bearcat breaching tool to apprehend him.

Soergel also testified that Burton threatened to shoot officers in the process of being placed into custody. Burton represented himself and identifies himself as a Moorish national.

Burton will remain in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service until transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility.

The Tulsa Police Department and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives conducted the investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Mark R. Morgan and D. Edward Snow prosecuted the case.

190 views0 comments


bottom of page