Broken Bow man dead after officer- involved shooting on Sunday
The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) is investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred in McCurtain County, yesterday evening.
Based on the OSBI’s initial investigation, this is what is known at this time:
• On January 31, 2021 at 5:20 p.m., the McCurtain County Sheriff’s Office received a call reporting a domestic assault occurring in the 1700 block of Lavender Road in Broken Bow.
• It was reported that 39-year-old Franklin Gray was holding his mother down on a couch and she was having trouble breathing.
• When the three deputies arrived, they found Gray outside the residence.
• Deputies attempted to take Gray into custody when he began fighting them. At one point during the struggle, Gray attempted to take one deputy’s gun, ripping the holster from the deputy’s belt at which point the weapon discharged.
• Deputies tased Gray in an attempt to get the situation under control, which was unsuccessful and the altercation continued.
• Gray was shot during the altercation and died at the scene from his injuries.
• None of the deputies involved were injured and all three are on routine administrative leave.