top of page
  • Writer's pictureDennis McCaslin

Bixby man given three life sentences plus an additional 80 years for 2021 Oklahoma crime spree

A Bixby man was sentenced to life in federal prison Thursday for multiple felonies including carjacking, robbery, and multiple murder charges, according to U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson.

U.S. District Judge Gregory K. Frizzell sentenced Hunter Isaiah Hobbs, 22, to 3 life sentences for felony murder in Indian Country; causing death by carrying, using, and discharging a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence; and obstruction of justice by killing a victim.

Frizzell further sentenced Hobbs to 20 years each for two counts of conspiracy to carry, use, and brandish a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence, 25 years for attempted carjacking and 15 years for robbery in Indian Country.

All sentences are to run concurrently. Hobbs is he grandson of a former Bixby chief of police.

"Hunter Hobbs conspired to rob multiple victims in this case. He and his co-defendant shot one victim, a complete stranger, in an attempted carjacking and then killed two of their own friends during this crime spree,” said U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson. “The relentless efforts of this Office, the FBI, and the Tulsa and Broken Arrow Police Departments resulted in the life sentences handed down today.”

"Today's sentence means Hunter Hobbs will spend the rest of his life behind prison walls for his spree of senseless and violent crimes, which tragically led to the death of two innocent victims," said FBI Oklahoma City Special Agent in Charge Edward J. Gray. "This case demonstrates the FBI's steadfast commitment to pursuing justice for victims and holding dangerous criminals accountable."

On May 8, 2021, Hobbs and Denim Lee Blount, 21, of Tulsa, lay in wait at the Westminster Apartments, at 7486 E 47th Place, in Tulsa, looking for a victim of opportunity. They approached a 2005 Chevy Tahoe with guns drawn and ordered the driver out of the vehicle.

When the victim tried to maneuver his vehicle and leave, Hobbs and Blount opened fire. The attack was captured on security cameras, which show Hobbs firing an entire magazine at the driver from his .45 caliber Colt Model Combat Commander pistol, as Blount fired a 12-gauge shotgun at the car.

The victim managed to flee the area but was struck multiple times. He sustained injuries to his hands, knee, arm, nose, cheeks, and frontal scalp. His injuries required surgery and caused permanent damage to his hand. Hobbs and Blount fled the scene.

On May 13, 2021 Hobbs and Blount again conspired to ambush, rob, and kill. This time the targets were two friends, Caleb Vaughan Collier and Kelly Ray Olen John Landsaw-Davis, both citizens of the Cherokee Nation.

Hobbs and Blount planned to lure then men to a secluded area of Haikey Creek Park in Broken Arrow and rob them. When Blount stated that the men would be able to identify them to the police, Hobbs stated: “Then we’ll just off them”.

The victims picked Hobbs and Blount up in the early morning hours of May 13 and the four men drove to a parking lot in Haikey Creek Park where Blount tricked Landsaw-Davis into handing over a handgun he was carrying. Hobbs then drew his Colt .45 caliber pistol and along with Blount ordered both victims out of the car at gun point.

Once exiting the vehicle, Hobbs shot Collier eight times in the torso with his Colt .45 caliber pistol, as Blount shot Landsaw-Davis with a 12-gauge shotgun that had been provided to him by Hobbs. As Collier lay gasping for breath, Hobbs reloaded his pistol and fired another 7-round magazine into Collier’s head and neck, killing him.

Hobbs and Blount then stole the victims’ phones and vehicle and fled the scene. They later abandoned the vehicle in Tulsa and set fire to it attempting to destroy evidence. Witnesses testified that Hobbs laughed and joked about the killings, mocking his victims’ last dying breaths.

Cheryl Collier, mother of Caleb Collier, in addressing the court said, “When I finally got to go see my son at the funeral home, they told me to be careful with him because his body had a lot of damage done to it. They said that they had to wrap him up from his neck to his feet so he would not come apart.”

Hobbs will remain in the custody of the U.S. Marshal Service pending transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility to be determined in the near future.

Codefendant Blount is still pending adjudication.

The FBI, Broken Arrow Police Department, and Tulsa Police Department investigated the case.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher J. Nassar prosecuted the case.

48 views0 comments


bottom of page